Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My new job - impressions

So, i'm in my third week with the new workplace and i have some initial impressions about working in the UK. (All of which are coming back to me after I spent my year in London in 2004).

1. Regardless of the fact that Australia (or the australia that we know) was roughly based on the Old Country, the culture is vastly different - people have a different approach to everything - relationships, work ethic, morals. I'm not saying that Australians have it better.... But things really are quite different here.

2. I've been told by my 'mentor' at work that she once had a stalker that her brothers went after and broke his legs. I realise she's from birmingham but that even seems a bit harsh for for the Midlands really!

3. One of my colleagues speaks baby-talk at work.... and she's 39. Hmmmm.

4. In the Birmingham accent, you say "Mair-eh" for Mary. It's quite an amusing accent.

5. I'm struggling with the job and feel a right fool most of the time, starting from scratch. But i think they expected this, and are being quite tolerant of my mistakes, but it's been a long time in a job since i haven't known what i'm doing.

6. The pay in this country is dismal - i'm getting paid about half of what i got in australia. That's going to be hard to come to terms with.

7. Commuting on a train for an hour each way allows me to catch up on my reading. I hope the next book is better than the one i'm currently reading!

No comments: